- Who are we and where are we today … really?
- Where are we going?
- How do we get everyone aligned and focused on what matters to get there?
ARE YOU FOCUSED?
- What does that mean for you anyway – as a leader, team or total organization? Maybe you have an aspirational vision statement that provides everyone meaning, purpose and energy – that’s great. Maybe you don’t. As a true leader you can (must) help your team identify and understand the team’s mission, goals and roadmap for success. The absence of this clarity results in many false starts and organizational collisions. In the Navy SEALS, they call this clarity understanding the “commanders’ intent” – it helps guide decision-making down the line.
- How do we translate this down the line? Clarity must radiate beyond the senior leadership circle if any chance to become a truly focused organization … it must go top to bottom and across all functions. Focus cannot be complicated, confusing or contradictory. Those organizations who are concentrating on building understanding and skills in core “operating principles” are navigating better and faster than those organizations trying to be overly prescriptive and controlling.
ARE YOU FAST AT WHAT MATTERS?
- Where must you have strategic speed? This question can create important and provocative conversation. More likely than not, it will lead you to some discussion about cross-functional collaboration of one sort or another. In some organizations, this often naturally leads to fingers getting pointed in several directions. Just as dysfunctional are those organizations that operate in benign neglect for fierce conversation. Strategic speed has a dependent relationship to this notion of being focused which is why we ALWAYS talk about being FOCUSED, fast and flexible – with focus first.
- How do you get and stay FAST? This is often the tougher question – how to change the metronome standard in your organization. The speed of play is getting faster all the time – how does that play out in your organization? Are you using the same age old cadence and expectations for product development e.g. it normally takes us three years to launch a new product? The key is getting all the stakeholders to up the tempo together just as talented jazz or bluegrass musicians are able to do in a jam session. It doesn’t work if only part of the team is willing or able to step up the tempo.
ARE YOU FLEXIBLE?
- What does flexibility mean for you? Flexibility is a strategic capability for agile organizations, teams and leaders. Really does start with a leadership mindset of positive adaptability and possibilities. The simple leadership realization that “there is more than one right answer” is powerful and liberating as National Geographic photographer Dewitt Jones shared in his video on Everyday Creativity. The paradox to be effectively navigated is how to create clarity in strategic direction and operating principles AND to be open to idea diversity and new possibilities. Agile leaders polish, feed and grow this capability as they continuously inform their capabilities to anticipate change better and faster.
- How do you get and stay FLEXIBLE? Agile organizations are oriented to operating principles of speed, fluidity and synchronicity among others. Those factors that are constraints to those principles also limit flexibility. Each is an opportunity for teams discover the “next right answer” that doesn’t sacrifice on your customer centric value equation.
Yes – the magic comes from the ampersand … when we are Focused, Fast & Flexible then we are well on our journey to making Agility a real advantage while creating the kind of organizations where talent flourishes and grows. These are but some of the key questions that might be on your checklist. If you would like to explore more, you might check out our book FOCUSED, FAST & FLEXIBLE. You can acquire from Amazon or click here www.focusedfastandflexible.com to get copies for your whole team at our bulk discounted rate. It will help equip your team for some provocative discussion about some critical success factors for Shaping Your Future in 2017 and beyond.